833-870: First recorded mention of Berwick in the chronicles.
1018: Battle of Carham, Malcolm of Scotland claimed the Tweed as a Scottish River and the town as being in Scotland.
1147: Berwick surrendered by William of Scotland as part of his ransom after his capture by the English at Alnwick
1150: Berwick Castle Built.
1216 15th January: King John took town and castle and perpetrated the most horrible cruelties on it's citizens.
1217 1st December: Alexander's sentence of excommunication was cancelled by the Pope and the King received absolution in the Castle at Berwick.
1266: King of scotland held his birthday celebrations in the town.
1291: 17th November: Assembly of the states of England and Scotland, held in Berwick castle, when Edward the first decided in favour of John Baliol against the claims of Robert thr Bruce as heir to the crown of Scotland.
1296: Edward, having reduced Scotland to subjection, returned to Bewrick upon Tweed and summoned a parliament to assemble there on the 23rd of August to settle the government of the kingdom he had overrun.
1305: The left arm of William Wallace was ordered to be suspended in the town after he had been quartered.
1306: The Countess of Buchan was imprisoned in a acage on the walls of Berwick castle, for her participation in the coronation of King Robert the Bruce, she was released 7 years later.
1309/10: Edward the second, his Queen and Nobles, wintered in Berwick on his return from the invasion of Scotland.
1312: Bruce attempted to claim the town. The barking of a dog made known his arrival and saved Berwick as a cackling of geese saved Rome.
1314: Edward II fled to Berwick after his defeat at Bannockburn.
1318: Robert Bruce mastered Berwick on 28th March. Here he dated many of his charters and assembled many of his Parliaments.
1320: Edwardian Walls built during reign of Edward II.
1333: Battle of Halidon Hill. Edward III hanged the sons of Sir Alexander Seton, Govenor of Berwick in sight of the garrison.
1342: Edward the Third spent Easter in the town of Berwick upon Tweed, and there was a jousting match with his Scottish knights.
1368: Berwick ceased to be a royal borough of Scotland.
1438: The Riding of the Bounds first took place and still occurs to this day.
1482: On the 24th of August, Berwick finally conceded to England durin g the reign of Edward the fourth. Between 1147 and 1482 Berwick changed hands no less than thirteen times.
1502: In July, Margaret, daughter of henry the seventh, was entertained in Berwick whilst en route to Scotland for her marriage to james the fourth of Scotland. She was delivered to the Scottish commisioners at Lamberton.
1513: the Battle of Flodden took place at which James IV of Scotland was slain and his body was brought to Berwick.
1548: John Knox appeared in Berwick as a Preacher and stayed for 2 years, in 1551 he left for Newcastle.
1558-1560: Elizabethian walls were built at the order of Queen Elizabeth the first in anticipation of a French invasion. The intact Walls can still be seen and walked upon today.
1564 29th March: Frances Russel, Earl of Eedford, assumed governorship of Berwick upon Tweed. First notice of incoming governor in guild books.
1576 31st of May: Queen Elizabeth's Pier started, forerunner of present pier.
1579/80: Plague in the town, "beginning with pains in the head/eyes, sores in the throat, and breast in the nature of a cold". Sir Harry Widdrington becomesdeputy governor under Lord Hunsdon.
1603: James VI Scotland arrived on 7 April on his way to London in preparation of his Coronation as James I England, after death of Queen Elizabeth I.
1604 30th April: Charter granted by James the first of England, sixth of Scotland, to the town.
1611: Old bridge started. It took 24 years, four months and four days to complete, at a cost of £15,000. Length of Bridge 388 yards. It replaced the wooden bridge.
1639: Charles the First stayed in Berwick and held a council with the Covenators.
1648: Berwick Parish Church built, one of the only 2 Churches to be built in England during the period of the Commonwealth at the order of Cromwell it was to be flat roofed and no adornments.
1650: Oliver Cromwell visited Berwick.
1657: 17th August: Proclomation in Berwick of Lord Protector Cromwell, as chief magistrate of the United Kingdom.
1717: The first purpose built Barracks in the whole of Britain, using stone from Berwick Castle.
1750: Town Hall built with a spire of 150ft.
1810/21: Berwick pier built. Length of pier is 960 yards and cost £61,536.
1823: Death sentence last carried out in Berwick when Grace Griffin was hanged at Gallows Hill.
1826/27: Lighthouse built.
1835: Last year of the guilds existence in running the affairs of the town, first election of councillors on 26th December.
1847/50: Royal Border Railway Bridge was built using stone from Berwick Castle, opened by Queen Victoria 1850. Cost £110,000.
1857: Stocks last used in Berwick.
1923 11th November: Berwick war memorial unveiled by Earl Haig.
1925/28: Royal Tweed bridge was built at a cost of £180,000. It was opened by HRH the Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor) on 16th May 1928.
1947 7th August: Visit of HRH the Duchess of Gloucester, on the occasion of the conferment of the honorary freedom of the borough on the kings own Scottish Borderers.
1948 21st April: Honorary freedom opf the borough, conferred upon royal Northumberland Fusiliers.
1956 7th July: Visit by her majesty Queen Elizabeth the second and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.
1958 14th November: Town receives grant of coat-of-arms from lord Lyon, King of Arms.
1881-1963: the Barracks were the depot of the Kings Own Scottish Borderers, whose regimental museum is housed in O Block.
1963 8th November: Last passing out at the barracks .
1964 31st January: Barracks closed as a garrison after 243 years.
1973 29th April: Visit of Her majesty Queen Elizabeth the queen mother, on the occasion of St Georges day celebrations by royal regiment of Fusiliers.
2001: Her majesty the Queen visited Berwick in her jubilee celebrations tour.